Time To Grow Up Babygirl!

Hey everyone! I hope ya'll  have been blessed so far this month!

Today I want to talk about something that has been a challenge for me for years; maturing as an individual and as a woman. Growing up or maturing into a woman was and still is sometimes challenging for me. I have to say, though, that the journey is a whole lot more stress free with Jesus than without Him!

I have always been afraid to let go and step out and stop being afraid; afraid of new situations, new people, places and new levels of responsibility. I was just terrified inside. It would literally give me an anxiety attack just to think about it. My heart would start beating faster and  my breath would become more rapid just at the thought of becoming a woman. 

Even more to the point, my growing up, I realized, had a lot to do with the way I related to other people. I didn't like people to disagree with me. I didn't like people to get angry at me and if there was a confrontation I would want to run and hide, even if it was no fault of mine.(I am not a confrontational person by nature but I do realize it's a part of life and it will happen at some point. I just believe that there are better ways for us to handle our issues). Later on, I would beat myself up and say I have no backbone.Or I would tell myself I'm being Christlike by not responding or letting people walk all over me. I refused to speak up when I knew I should and this left people with a false impression of who I was or what I believed. This convicted me for years but I had no idea how to be any other way and so my struggle continued.

In my teenage years, whenever I felt I was criticized too harshly, as opposed to encouraged I shrank even more into my shell.( Even in saying this I realize that I was a very sensitive child and still so as an adult. This is something I'm still working on). As I got older I started to manifest that same critical spirit towards others. [Even now I have to constantly ask God to help me not be so critical of others and to see the good in them, more than always seeing what's wrong with them]. 

Secretly, I wished I was like other people who, at the drop of a hat, would stick up for themselves and tell you exactly how they felt. Deep down I knew I had to change what I felt was wrong with me. How? I couldn't quite figure that out.

In the mean time, life continued as usual. As a young woman, I often longed for that change and wondered why it wasn't happening, as if to say it should automatically happen once adulthood set in. It was only in my early thirties that I began praying for God to help me overcome this defect in my character. I started to believe I could actually be and live the way God wanted by His help; although sometimes I still struggled with the same old thoughts. Slowly God started helping me to grow and mature.God placed people in my life who could identify with me, who could challenge me, encourage me, strengthen me, and pray with and for me.

And so my life took another turn. One for the better. I now hold my head up and see Jesus as my helper and friend. I know that I couldn't have done it without His help. I don't go around any longer holding my head down, having low self-esteem and wallowing in self-pity. I know who I am in Jesus. I know whose I am and that knowledge empowers me. There are times when I'm still tempted and I fall but Jesus picks me back up again and I'm growing by and in His grace. Praise Jesus!!

There are simple things in life that used to cause me much stress and anxiety that no longer do.I find that I am more and more confident in speaking the truth and speaking in love. My heart is saddened and disappointed when people don't seem to respond favorably but I am not yearning for their acceptance of me as I once did. I know Jesus accepts me and as long as I'm doing HIS will I am content in my lot. Praise Jesus!! lol I can't help myself I just have to praise Him!

His promise to me was "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is HE that is in you, than He that is in the world." 1 John 4:4 That means that I will overcome because I have allowed Jesus into my heart, my soul,my mind, my life. 

Maturing, to me, used to mean just telling people like it is without holding back. It also meant being financially secure and basically being an independent/super woman, who didn't need anyone to do anything for her. Mm hm All that and a bag O' chips. God showed me that it's much more than that. Matter-of-fact there are many women who achieve so much in terms of financial security and the like but they haven't "grown up" as yet. They want what they want, when they want it, how they want it, and with whomever they want it. While they have skills that would enable them to survive in this world they lack the qualities that set them apart from the worldly and materialistic. 


Now I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't pursue your dreams and goals in life. However, it should never define us as women of God. These things are still earthly and will one day soon perish. The word says in Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 

If we are blessed to have financial security and a great career we need to recognize that these are just tools for God to use in fulfilling His purpose in our lives.


My sister, God wants more for us and from us than a great career and financial security. Our lives must be filled with purpose. His way of maturing us encapsulates the entire woman. He matures us not just emotionally, but mentally and spiritually as well. The truest test of a mature woman is in her ability to let God dictate to her in ALL areas of her life. That means, choice of a spouse, educational pursuits, careers, dress, music, entertainment and the list goes on.


Are you willing and ready for God to dictate to you, whom you should marry, where you should go to school, what career you should pursue and the sort of entertainment you should engage in? If we won't listen to Him when He asks us to eat a certain way or dress a certain way, will we listen to Him for the larger things in life? Remember, we are only entrusted with larger responsibilities when we have been faithful with smaller ones. 


Am I a mature woman? I am learning everyday. I am growing everyday. I thank God for His patience with me and for His help in making me the woman He wants me to be. I used to think that it was all in the getting of all the world had to offer me. My perspective has changed as God shown me it's allowing Him to steer me in His path, for His purpose.


Don't be afraid of God's purpose for you. His plans are to prosper you and not harm you. If you have been going down your own path, it's not too late to turn back now and give God full control of your life. It's works out a whole lot better when we do it God's way instead of our way. Blessings to you my Loves!!




                                                                  PRAYING FOR YOU!!!




A Woman's Place 














Comments

Popular Posts