It's Not yours! It Belongs to God!

When I was about seven years old, I began to sing solos in my local childhood church. Well at least I sang a solo a number of times but it wasn't until a bit later, around age twelve or so, that it became a more frequent occurrence in my young life. My dear grandmother, having heard me singing one day while playing, then decided it was time for me to take my talent and use it more ably. As you can imagine, I was at first very nervous and apprehensive but I was so well received and encouraged by the congregation that I felt I had done quite well. 

If you guessed that I probably have been singing ever since that first occasion, you are correct. I also became somewhat of a one man praise team (back then one person was chosen to lead out in songs unless there were others present who could help) but back then mostly hymns and choruses were sung. Many times my sister and I, who was also discovered could sing, would be my right hand helper.

 It was a duty, challenge and sometimes enjoyable thing but I soon learned that it was also work and commitment. I did not always have the help of another singer and whenever I did it was heaven to be able to share that 'burden' with someone else. If you're a singer/song leader I know you can relate. Many times I would look out at the congregation and see them looking at me and listening instead of singing. It was a lonesome feeling at times and to encourage enthusiasm and gusto in them was not my thing. You literally felt as if you were performing for them.

In the years that followed, not too far removed from childhood, I migrated to the US and I found a plethora of singers of all ages and cultural backgrounds. The enormity of talent made my head spin, and all of a sudden my one little talent didn't seem like much at all. Where would I fit in in all this?
I really did think that I was a great singer. Was I? Some people surely thought so and my family of course was always very supportive. I was always called on to sing. At times my head swelled and other times I felt underappreciated and maybe a bit taken for granted. Don't we all at times? 

However, there were times when I was too swellheaded. It may not have been evident to others who always proclaimed my sincerity and humility but I felt good knowing people really liked my singing talent.

Where am I going with all this? It was not until in my more mature adult life that I began to understand that whatever I have in life does not belong to me but to God. I had spent so many years giving myself the credit for something I did nothing to inherit or achieve. Vain and foolish.Yep. It was quite simply God's gift to me and on a much graver scale I was to use it to glorify only Him and be accountable to Him for how I used it. There were times when I felt tired of singing, though not too often. There were times when I would only sing songs I thought would bring the greatest applause, seeking the approval of the congregation, even though I felt impressed to do otherwise. I soon learned that the blessing was not in having the talent itself  but in seeing how it blessed others.

I slowly and gradually began choosing songs that I felt God leading me to sing rather than whatever fit my fancy. 

Today it doesn't matter to me whether it's a song from a current Christian artist or a good old time hymn, if it fits the need of the occasion, I let the Holy Spirit lead. 

But you know something? In spite of all that I've just expressed to you, there was always a nagging feeling that my talent was just not enough. I felt I couldn't sing like this one or that one so what was the use? I also felt that my singing was probably a bit dated and maybe I needed to adapt a different style to be more appealing to all, both younger and older generations. It soon started feeling like too much of a burden to sing because I felt like I needed to live up to everyone's standard. Not something I was proud of but God used these experiences to show me what was in my heart. Did I truly want to serve Him? Sing for Him? Live for Him? Worship Him?


In more recent years beginning in 2014, I developed a health issue that affected my singing. In this season I began to realize that singing is not my happiness. It's not my joy. It's not my life, peace or contentment. God is. I had to put down public singing for a bit for the most part. I am currently still working on rejuvenating my health with God's help so that I can be a more effective minister for Him. 

There are times when we might become resentful of who we are and what we are called to do for whatever reason. I once even heard the great Whitney 'The Voice' Houston say that people think that it's easy to do what she does but it is not easy. Celebrity singers and other artists out there have their own personal struggles as well. They have to work extra hard to make a lasting impact on their audience and they are doing it for their personal reasons. Sometimes they even go days weeks, even months to perfect there craft. All in the name of fame.

Because God has called us we will also have times of struggle, difficulty and downright discouragement. We may even feel inadequate at times but the thing we must remember is the enemy will resist us when we are doing what God has called us to do. If we get no resistance then we may as well question if we are doing what God has asked us to do. God will not give us everything or spoon feed us the entire way, that's why he gave us brains and intelligence. We should always seek out counsel and guidance from godly people and most importantly from God, to make sure we are on the right track. 

I'm not a hundred percent as yet with my voice but I know that God will see me through this. I'm expecting great things. I haven't seen it, but I believe it.

So whatever God has given you to do,whatever talent He has blessed you with, use it to glorify and honor Him. Let Him lead you and all will be well. Not easy. But great things don't come without great effort. It belongs to Him. Your talent. Your gift. You belong to Him. You will be accountable for how you use what He has given and how much you have developed it. Be the servant who improves on every opportunity God gives for growth and expand according to how He leads. We're not looking to do this the world's way, we're looking to do it God's way.


(Clip of me singing in 2009)






A Woman's Place! Praying for you!











Photo Credit Sarah Pflug

Comments

Popular Posts